Latest News Editor's Choice

Sports / Soccer

PSL nullifies DeMbare, Wankie match result

by Staff reporter
07 Jun 2012 at 05:04hrs | Views
THE Castle Lager Premier Soccer League disciplinary committee has nullified Dynamos' 4-2 win over Hwange, in which the miners played their game without their coaches who were assaulted by DeMbare marshals.

This means that Dynamos, who were second on the log, five points behind early pacesetters Highlanders, take a big slide to seventh with 14 points.

The league's disciplinary committee noted that Dynamos' marshals Abraham Kwenda, James Dzamu and Simbarashe Zviita, admitted to assaulting Hwange's coaches Nation Dube and Mebelo Njekwa before a league match on 6 May at Rufaro Stadium.

The admission of guilt fines which the marshals paid condemned the Harare giants.

Dynamos, as the home team, were supposed to take care of the security arrangements.

"In arriving at the sentence the committee is also alive to the fact that Dynamos have exercise control over all its functionaries.

"The result of the match (4-2) is nullified and a replay is hereby ordered at a neutral venue to be decided by the PSL. Dynamos Football Club is also to meet the full costs in respect of transport, accommodation and food for Hwange Football Club for the replay match which should be hosted at a neutral venue to be decided by the Premier Soccer League.

"The fine is to be paid by 30 June 2012. Dynamos are hereby ordered to pay the costs of the hearing," reads part of the judgment.

This is not the first time that a replay has been ordered. In 1993, the Zimbabwe Warriors managed to appeal against a 2-1 defeat in a World Cup qualifier against Egypt played in Cairo after the late Reinhard Fabisch was hit by a stone during the game. Fifa ordered a replay which was played in Lyon, France.

The PSL disciplinary committee took the above precedent in arriving at the decision to order a replay.
The disciplinary panel, made up of chairman Don Moyo, ex-referee Brighton Mudzamiri and Vusi Vuma, also fined the Harare giants $2 000 but $1 000 was suspended on condition that they do not commit a similar offence during the season.

Hwange welcomed the verdict and said it served as a warning that no one was bigger than football.

"This is a fair judgment and we will like to state that we do not have problems with Dynamos as a team but their marshals who seem to take the law into their own hands. This verdict shows that no team is bigger than the laws of the game and also serves as a warning to other clubs," said Hwange spokesman Burzil Dube.

DeMbare are said to have violated Order 31 of the Rules and Regulations.

Dynamos' chairman Kenny Mubaiwa said the club was going to appeal against the ruling.

"We are definitely going to appeal. We do not have a problem with paying the fine but isn't the incident happened before kick-off and the match was played?

"We feel that the result should stand and we are going to appeal," said Mubaiwa.

Dynamos become the third club in the league to be fined within the first half of the season.

Quelaton were fined $5 000 for using a red-carded player with Caps United slapped with a $6 000 fine, of which $2 000 was suspended, following the violence that broke out during their league match against Chicken Inn.

Source - chronicle