Latest News Editor's Choice


News / Local

Parirenyatwa trial moved to May 26

by Staff rpeorter
15 May 2021 at 09:48hrs | Views
FORMER Health minister David Parirenyatwa has unsuccessfully applied for removal from remand for the umpteenth time.

Parirenyatwa is facing criminal abuse of office charges after he allegedly favoured Newman Madzikwa when he appointed him as National Pharmaceutical Company (NatPharm) managing director, replacing Nancy Sifeku who had reached retirement age.

Parirenyatwa has been on remand for more than three years and his trial has been stalled for two years due to magistrate Elijah Makomo's illness.

Prosecutor Brian Vito sought the postponement of the matter to May 26.

"You will note that the matter stalled due to the presiding magistrate who is on sick leave, but now, I communicated with him. He said he will be in court on May 26 for continuation of trial," Vito said.

But Parirenyatwa's lawyer, Innocent Chingarande challenged the postponement, saying the same reasons were given before to defer the trial.

"The matter had been stood down for Makomo to come to deal with it but it is now two years," Chingarande said.

"The matter cannot be postponed because of an individual phone call. The accused person is a respected member of society. He has come to court for more than 10 postponements on the basis of assurance.

Source - newsday

Get latest news by email: